This is some of the work of Cape Town based photographer Douglas Bower. He is young and eager and one funny funny guy and he knows how to take a pretty nice picture too. So everyone, say hello to Doug.
1. How long have you been taking photos? Been shooting about 4 – 5 years.
2. What made you want to be a photographer? I actually never wanted to be a photographer I just started messing around with cameras and then boom. I got a job in the mysterious world of gear hire. It sort of grew on me gradually. Like fungus.
3. What do you like taking pictures of the most? I like real life but I get a lot of satisfaction shoot fashion in a real environment.
4. Do you prefer planned shoots or are you more a shoot from the hip kind of person? I like stuff to be planned for me. When I am on set I am pretty frazzled so I only want to think about the shots not the admin. Things can run smooth though on a shoot where there is a relaxed environment and people are getting along.
5. What do you think of Instagram? I was the first person I know to use instagram and I have taken a lot of great pictures on instagram and I think it fills a gap in photography that people didn’t know was there. We get to take slice of life photos in a beautiful way and share it with people who like us and we like, and it all happens instantly and we feel like we experience moments of life with more satisfaction because we actually do something in those moments and that is instagram.
6. What would be your ultimate shoot, if you could shoot anyone/thing, anywhere? I really would love to do some sort of vogue fashion shoot.
7. Who are some of your most favourite photographers, local and international? I like Steven Meisel, Sebastian Kim, Paulo Reversi, Locally I like Ross Garrett, Warren van Rensburg.